What's Next for the VAST Platform?
VAST Platform 2024 (13.0.0)
Usage of SIMD algorithms are dramatically improving the speed of various parts of the VAST Platform.
Deeper Unicode integration
Further improvements to the core Unicode framework including support for the common filesystem, databases, and web frameworks.
Code editor update
Enhanced code editing with more possibilities for new visualizations, Unicode improvements, and other languages beyond Smalltalk.
Table widget integrations
WindowBuilder and Abt parts will include support for the Windows® table widget common control.
Bi-directionally control web page views in your applications using the latest version of Microsoft Edge® and Smalltalk itself!
Internal build improvements
Expanded performance and coverage tests to ensure even fewer regressions (or performance hits) occur for each version and are rectified prior to release.
Multi-year GTK development begins
Work has begun on the GTK® framework for improving the look/feel and development experience on Linux®. GTK will provide a better path forward for more visual capabilities and eventually enable VAST compatibility on platforms beyond Windows and Linux.
(Potential feature for VAST 2025)
Possible Features for Future Releases
Many of the below items were collected from the previous Instantiations survey, but if you were unable to participate or if a feature you want is missing, please contact us at:firstname.lastname@example.org
Language & Runtime
- Native Apple M1/Intel and macOS Support
- Support for new processor architectures like RISC-V
- Tar archive stream support
- Further Unicode integration (work in progress...)
- Enhanced remote debugging support for runtime images
- Updated code change detection and merge engine
User Interface & Visuals
- GTK for Linux (work in progress...)
- Updated GUI icons for the VAST IDE
Communications & Web Dev
- gRPC and HTTP/2
- Improved REST framework (with native SST classes)
- LSP support for connecting VAST to other dev environments like VS code
- JOSE and JSON web tokens
- Authorization/Authentication support (i.e. OAuth2.0, OpenID)
- LDAP/LDAPS integration with Server Smalltalk
- MySQL/MariaDB Support
- NoSQL Support
- Further Git functionality in VAST environment
- Packager enhancements to simplify deployment